When I was kid, I used to think that sodas were called “soft” drinks because they were fizzy – or fuzzy, as my little brother used to say. Actually, the term “soft” is in contrast to “hard” as in “hard liquor”, but frankly, there’s nothing soft about sodas. And after reading this, hard liquor may start looking like health food.
Reason #1 – The Sweetener
In the 1970′s, soft drinks were vilified for their sugar content. I can remember my high school biology teacher putting a tooth in a glass of Coke one day, only to have it disintegrated by the following day. We were all told it was the devil sugar that did it.
Riding the anit-sugar tide, cyclamates were introduced as a sugar substitute. Shortly thereafter, they were found to be carcinogenic (cancer causing), so sugar made a brief resurgence as the sweetener of choice.
Of course, that was soon followed by saccharin, then aspartame, then sucralose (branded as Splenda), all of which are supposed to be better for you than sugar and all of which, it turns out, cause some rather unpleasant “side effects” in a significant percentage of the population. Surprise, surprise.
Aspartame is a neurotoxin and is listed as a biological weapon. Sucroalose is a chlorocarbon (poison gas used in Nazi Germany). So, now we’ve come full circle and we’re back to advertising soft drinks with the “real thing”, sugar – now being touted as practically a health food. The truth is, refined sugar and all of its artificial substitutes are anti-nutrients and as such, are toxic to varying degrees. However, the sweetener aspect of soft drinks is just the tip of the iceberg.
Reason #2 – Acid (See Antifreeze below)
Remember that tooth that disintegrated in the glass of Coke? It turns out that it wasn’t the sugar that dissolved it at all; it was the acid. Acid is corrosive anywhere it goes and the acid in soft drinks is no different. So, which internal body parts would you like to corrode today? Your bones? Your cartilage? How about some soft tissues like your arteries, your heart, your nerve sheaths, or some connective tissues?
Battery acid has a pH of 1. Sodas range in pH from 2-4, with some diet sodas coming in at 2. An acid body pH creates the perfect environment for disease and obesity. Your chances of losing weight by drinking diet sodas is slim to none. When you Supersize your soda, you’re supersizing your waistline. It literally takes 32 eight-ounce glasses of water (that’s 2 gallons, folks,) just to neutralize the acid in just one 12 oz. soda. Which brings us to reason number 3.
Reason #3 – The Packaging
The highly acid pH causes plasticizers from plastic bottles (like BPA’s), which are endocrine disrupters; and aluminum, a heavy metal that tends to collect in the fat cells of the brain and contribute to mental disorders including Alzheimer’s, leach into the soda. Trace amounts of the lead based paint used on the outside of aluminum cans leaches into the drink as well. (More heavy metal toxins.)
Reason #4 – Carbonation
The carbonation alone depletes calcium. So, between that and the acid corrosion you’re setting yourself up for bone loss. Enough said.
Reason #5 – Benzene
Look at a soda ingredients label and find sodium benzoate and ascorbic acid. Ascorbic acid is a form of vitamin C, but before you get all excited about the prospect of something of actual food value in that can or liter bottle of soda, you should know what the FDA and beverage companies have know for years: that when mixed with sodium benzoate, it becomes benzene. While the FDA sets no limits on the amount of benzene that soft drinks may contain, the EPA sets the safe limits at 0-4 ppb (parts per billion.) That’s right – billion with a “b”.
Why would the FDA and beverage conglomerates intentionally put yet another toxic ingredient in your favorite soft drink? Because that’s what gives it the zing that makes it so addicting, which is why it’s your FAVORITE!
Reason #6 – Antifreeze
Propolene glycol is used in antifreeze and cosmetics, but is considered by the FDA as “generally recognized as safe.” (Remember, this is the same FDA that has no limits on the amount of benzene allowed in food or drinks.) Propolene Glycol also raises the amount of acid in your body, ergo, the tissue corrosive properties. You might also be interested to know that propolene glycol is used to de-ice aircrafts, make polyester compounds, and is used as solvents in the paint and plastics industries, which would explain how BPA’s and lead paint get into your soda from the container.
What happens to a dog when it drinks antifreeze? It usually dies of kidney and liver failure shortly thereafter. And why would a dog drink antifreeze? Because it tastes sweet…
Reason #7- Dehydration
Reaching for a soft drink because you’re thirsty is about as counterproductive as you can get. If you’re thirsty, it’s because you’re dehydrated. Your body is telling you that if you don’t increase the water content in your tissues, something bad is going to happen. So, when you go for a cold soft drink, you make the situation even worse. Remember that antifreeze I mentioned before? One of its functions is to absorb extra water – not the function your body is really asking for. Not only will soda not REhydrate you, it will further DEhydrate you, through moisture absorption and toxification. Your body’s first response to poisoning is thirst. It’s asking for water in order to dilute the toxins. That’s why you’ll still be thirsty after you drink a soda.
It’s Up To You
Hopefully this is enough information to make you take a big gulp before you throw down your spare change for that Big Gulp. No soft drink out there tastes so good that it’s worth dying for.